Kundalini is your life force energy. It’s believed that in those who are unawakened, their energy remains coiled at the base of their spine. For those who have an awakening event and become conscious, the energy spirals upward, activating each chakra, and making the being transition into an enlightened guru.
So, yeah, it’s a lot.
Many people believe that a Kundalini awakening is a process of coming into complete nirvana, and that’s true – to a degree. A Kundalini awakening is talked about a lot in spiritual circles because prior to experiencing bliss, the energy first cleanses and purifies, and the shifts that you experience can be unnerving at best, and downright painful at worst.
A kundalini awakening can be one of the most traumatic and confusing times of your life. What you cannot tell at the onset is that you’re actually undergoing a deep purification process, in which you will come out on the other end stronger and more level-headed than ever before.
Here’s how to know whether or not you’re in the process
1. You begin a process of emotional reckoning. You find your mind circling through past experiences that you either miss and feel sad about no longer having, or are mourning for, and feel sad that you had to go through in the first place.
2. You are unpacking years of pent-up energy blocks that have prevented you from being present. This means you’ll spend a lot of time thinking through the past: what happened, and what you wish were different. This is a time to come to peace with it and to release.
3. You may feel physical symptoms, such as waking up at random hours of the night, sweating, crying, or even literally feeling an intense rush of energy going up your spine.
4. You feel a sudden need to make radical changes in your life. This can include everything from your diet to your job to the people you spend time with. More than anything, you realize what isn’t working.
5. You become conscious of how your mind has been the sole force holding you back from presence, and from happiness. You begin to realize that your ego has kept you trapped in trying to “prepare for the worst,” when in reality, it was a ploy to keep you from the current moment, wherein your energy has its most power.
6. Incredible synchronicities begin to appear in your life. Things just have a random way of working themselves out and leave you thinking: hm, that was perfect.
7. Your empathetic abilities strengthen like never before. It’s as though you can think and feel exactly what another person is experiencing the moment they are experiencing it. This might be overwhelming at first, but it’s really a sign that your third eye is opening and you’re becoming acquainted with your true nature, which is connectedness.
8. You feel a strong urge to be outside, in nature, as often as possible.
9. You feel a strong urge to declutter your life in as many ways as possible: broken relationships, messes in your home, old habits that are holding you back… it all has to go.
10. You begin to seriously question many of the systems and structures that currently exist. You begin to look at things like religion and politics and tradition in a way you never have before, identifying the root need they serve in human beings.
11. You experience “random” influxes of emotion. In reality, you’re dealing with old feelings you never fully addressed.
12. You feel a profound need to be of service to others. You understand that as we are all essentially one, devoting your life to the aide of other people is the noblest and gratifying thing you can do.
13. You begin to feel angry for what you were and weren’t given, for all the pain you did and didn’t have to cope with. Eventually, that anger melts into acceptance, as you see each part of your experience as part of your journey, not an adversary to it.
14. You realize that life was never happening to you, it was simply a reflection of you. What you were putting out into the world was precisely what you were getting back.
15. You feel a mystical, intimate connection with the divine. You see yourself as a god and recognize the god in every other human being alive.
16. You realize that you cannot wait another moment to start living, because life is happening right now, and always has been. You begin to realize that you have denied yourself your joy by waiting for it to begin.
Alway's set an intention and invite the Divine for support. Your intention could be something like…I welcome this experience as healing. I trust this experience will be just what I need.Stand with feet hip-distance apart. Close your eyes and bring your attention to your body. Breathe deeply into your belly, so your belly expands and falls (rather than just your chest). Connect again to your intention. Feel it in your body. Mmm, that’s nice.
Gently place your hands on the base of your spine and the top of your pubic bone. Bring your attention to this part of your body. Imagine two curled up snakes in between your hands. Breathe into it. Let out a vocal sigh on your out-breath. (It might feel awkward, but it works: making sound activates energy.)With your imagination, acknowledge the snakes (your energy). You can do a little bow to them as you do in yoga, with respect. You can say, hey! I see you. I love you. Let’s play together.
Start slowly moving your hips in circles. You’re awakening the energy. Your hip circles can be big, wide circles, or just small ones. Do what feels comfortable and real. Go slow. You’re not forcing the energy; pulling or pushing it. You’re gently stirring it. Welcome it awake, as if it’s a sleepy snake that you’re whispering good morning! to. (Imagine if we treated sex and intimacy like this. Not rushing or forcing our pleasure, timing, or desire.)
Visualise the two snakes rousing (your energy). What colour are they? What’s their texture? You can feel their potency. Their vibrancy. Their truth. Feel them gently radiating from the base of your spine. They’re waking and they start wanting to slowly move up your spine and through your body. They’re peaking their heads up now. Keep breathing and letting out vocal sighs and sounds.
As your body starts moving and blood starts pumping, increase the speed of your hip circles according to your own pace. You may like to do some trusty movements and circle your hips in different ways. Let your energy guide you! If you find yourself becoming tense, let it go. It’s blocked energy. What is it? Notice it (it’s information!) and release it through breath, sound, movement, visualisation.
Imagine these snakes are becoming more and more awake and their radiance is becoming hotter and more colourful. They’re slowly moving up your spine. Notice the feelings. Welcome it. Feel the activation. Breathe. Sound. Move. Actively release tension. Feel.
Let the snakes radiate up your spine. They’re washing through each energy centre up your spine ( your chakras), all the way to the top of your head (crown chakra). Move the energy from the base of your spine (base chakra, red) to the top of your head (crown chakra, indigo). With your inhale, breathe the energy up your spine. Let it flow and flow, like a river. Imagine it washing up your back.
Let it rip! Let it all flow. More! Welcome the flow, release. Where else do you feel blocked? What is your life needs to shift? Focus on that. With your attention, imagine the energy moving through it. Clean out the gunk!YYYYYEEEESSSSSSS!Feel your spine and body all activated. Freedom! Power!
When you feel like the tide has peaked and the energy is ebbing, let it. Keep moving, but slow your hip circles. After some time, let your hips come to stillness and breathe. Feel. Thank yourself, the Divine, Life. When you’re ready, bring your ritual to a close and meditate. It’s like your savasana after yoga or your post-sex snuggle. Important to rest and reflect.
Reflect on your experience and where your blocks were. Make a conscious choice to act in ways that serve your power and growth, rather than limit it. Say a prayer and ask your allies to help you.Remember: to go really deep in this process, emotional release is essential. This means not just shedding a tear if you’re feeling grief, but really letting it rip. Let yourself do the ugly cry/beat a pillow/laugh maniacally/whatever.
Most people have a number of emotional releases including anger, saddness, loss, doubt, hate, low sexual drive, depression.
You can activate kundalini yourself, but if you’re new to it, it’s great to have a bodyworker with you.
If you’d like to work with me to privately guide you through then please click on the link below.